Because of the importance of PMMA in numerous end use applications, ITP has launched a new publication that provides comprehensive monthly coverage of PMMA polymer and sheet trade flows between countries and regions. The publication is based on detailed trade statistics from over 50 countries and captures nearly all of the world’s trade.
The first issue was published in September and covers trade through June 2012. Some of the trends visible in the first issue were:
1. The volume of PMMA polymer traded worldwide through June was 282,000 tons, down 2% from the same period last year. The volume of PMMA sheet traded was 258,000 tons, down 14%.
2. Eastern Europe was the world’s highest volume importing region for PMMA; North America, Western Europe and Eastern Europe were the leading importers of sheet.
3. China was the world’s top importing country for polymer, 112,746 tons, up 2%, and also for sheet, 48,800 tons, down 40%.
4. Asia-Pacific exports of PMMA polymer to Western Europe have nearly doubled year to date.
5. Asia-Pacific exports of PMMA sheet year to date have increased to Eastern Europe, North America, and, with the highest percentage gains, Latin America and the Middle East.